Get a sleek office chair for your home office
Many people who work at home spend long hours in their home office. It's not unusual for them to sit in their primary office chair for eight hours or even longer every day, so the purchase of a home office chair is a serious undertaking.
Types of Office Chairs
Ergonomic office chairs have features that are designed with the human body in mind. Their purpose is to optimize both performance and human well-being. An ergonomic chair is usually sturdy and has multiple adjustment options for seat height, armrest height, back tilt, lumbar support and so on.
Executive office chairs generally offer the same features as other office chairs but are often larger, more comfortable and more stylish. For a home office where clients are met regularly, an executive office chair is a good choice if space permits.
Many people prefer leather office chairs for a number of reasons: leather is beautiful and durable; it comes in a variety of colors to match the decor of a home office; and it adds an air of status to an office furniture ensemble. A leather chair may be a bit more expensive than a chair with cloth upholstery, but the look and performance of leather over time may more than offset the initial cost.
How to Purchase an Office Chair
Taking an office chair for a "test drive" is a critical part of the selection process. When examining a chair, sit in it and pay attention to a number of points:
- Is the seat height adjustable? Can it be adjusted to a good height for you, where your feet are solidly resting on the floor and there is a 90-degree angle between your torso and thighs?
- Does the chair feel balanced and stable, even when you shift positions or swivel it?
- Is the padding sufficient for comfort without being too soft?
- How is the lumbar support? Is the lumbar support adjustable to a comfortable position?
- Are the armrests at a satisfactory height and made from a sturdy yet comfortable material?
- Is the fabric breathable, easily cleaned and not too slippery?
- Are the wheel casters appropriate for the flooring in your home office (some casters can damage hardwood flooring)?
Take your time and shop around so you can get a good understanding of the office chairs that are on the market. By shopping at several stores, you can also find the retailers who have the best prices. Once you have an idea of the chair you like, check online before you buy it in an actual store. Many online retailers offer discount office chairs comparable to the full-price models found in furniture and office supply stores. Just don't forget to factor in shipping costs to make sure you're getting the best possible deal.